Dr. Scott Smith is Group Leader for Intelligent Machine Tools at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Prior to that he was Professor and Chair of Mechanical Engineering at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. During 2012-13 he served as the Assistant Director for Technology at the US Advanced Manufacturing National Program Office in Washington DC.
He received his PhD from the University of Florida in 1987, his MS from the University of Florida in 1985, and his BSME from Tennessee Technological University in 1983.
His research areas include high-speed machining, process optimization, and machine dynamics. He has taught numerous industrial short courses. He holds 11 patents.
Smith is a Fellow of the International Academy for Production Engineering (CIRP), and he is a Fellow of both SME and ASME. Smith served as the Chair of the Manufacturing Engineering Division of ASME, and as President of the North American Manufacturing Research Institute of SME. He is author of more than 100 technical papers, and he is co-author of the books Machining Dynamics: Frequency Response to Improved Productivity and Mechanical Vibrations: Modeling and Measurement.
Smith has received numerous awards including the ASME William T. Ennor Award, the ASME Blackall Award, the NAMRI/SME S.M. Wu Research Implementation Award, the SME Education Award, the AMT Charles F. Carter Advancing Manufacturing Award, the American Helicopter Society Pinckney Award, an R&D 100 Award, and the NAMRI/SME Lifetime Service Award.
- ETC Talks - Moonshot - Polymer Mold Printing for Concrete Base Machine Tool
- Monday, October 5 • 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM Central
- ETC Talks - The Race to Unleash American Machine Tool Performance
- Friday, October 23 • 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM Central
- ETC Talks - Moonshot: Structural Dynamics for Concrete Base Machine Tool
- Monday, November 2 • 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM Central
- Smartforce Developments - New DOD-Driven Digital CNC + Augmented CAM & Bootcamp at U of Tenn & Pellissippi State
- Tuesday, November 17 • 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Central
- ETC Talks - Moonshot - Polymer Mold Printing for Concrete Base Machine Tool - REPLAY
- Thursday, November 26 • 2:30 PM - 3:15 PM Central
- ETC Talks - The Race to Unleash American Machine Tool Performance - REPLAY
- Wednesday, December 30 • 2:30 PM - 3:30 PM Central
- ETC Talks - Moonshot: Hybrid Manufacturing for Concrete Base Machine Tool
- Monday, January 4 • 1:00 PM - 1:45 PM Central